Ayse Birsel is an award-winning product designer, Fulbright scholar, Deconstruction / Reconstruction thinker and Design the Life You Love expert. As co-principal of Birsel + Seck, in New York City, she partners with industry leaders such as Hasbro, Herman Miller, Hewlett Packard, Johnson & Johnson, Moroso, OfficeMax and Target. Simplicity, Empathy, and Sustainability are central to her work. So is designing systems in which a few purposeful pieces form rich and adaptable solutions. She has created Deconstruction and Reconstruction™ (De/Re), a creative toolbox, for companies and decision-makers who have the courage to break existing preconceptions to imagine a better and different future. In tandem with her consulting work, and believing our biggest project are our lives, she originated Design the Life You Love workshops to inspire people to think about life with originality and creativity using design tools. Together with her husband and partner Bibi Seck, she designs and produces products in West Africa, to prove that good design is an incredible commercial asset that fosters growth and sales, brings employment and recognition, and nurtures good design practices even for the smallest operations in developing countries. Ayse is a Cooper Hewitt Museum’s National Design Awards finalist. She is the recipient of the 2001 Young Designer Award from the Brooklyn Museum of Art and the Athena Award for Excellence in Furniture Design from Rhode Island School of Design. Her work is in the permanent collections of the Museum of Modern Art and Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum. Ayse has received numerous design awards, including the IDEA Gold Award, ID Magazine Excellence Award and Chicago Athenaeum Good Design Award for her work. She is a graduate of the Middle East Technical University in Ankara, Turkey, with a master’s degree from Pratt Institute. Ayse Birsel is Turkish born.
- "The Water Room," isimli yüksek lisans tezi Japonya’da “Concepts and the Design of the Future competition” yarışmasında ödül aldı, ve 1990’da ID magazine award ödülünü aldı.
- 1990-91 Knoll Orchestra Ofis Aksesuarları (Bruce Hannah ile). Roscoe Design Award ve Cooper Hewitt Design Collection.
- 1994, VIA (French Furniture Industry Syndicate) Award for Furniture.
- 1993 Toto Zoe Washlet and Prominence. 1995 The Chicago Museum Good Design Award, 1996 ID Magazine Gold, 1996 IDEA Bronze Awards.
- 1996-2000 Herman Miller Resolve ofis sistemi. IDEA Gold, Best Of Neocon and Neocon Best Of Category, ID Magazine Gold Awards. 2001’de MOMA’da sürekli olarak sergilenmeye başlandı.
- Young Designer Award from the Brooklyn Museum of Art.
- Cooper Hewitt Museum National Design Awards finalist.
- 2008, Rhode Island School of Design Athena Award for Excellence in Furniture Design,
- 2008, Neocon. IDEA Gold, Best of Neocon and Neocon Best of Category, Spark Silver Awards
- 2010, Chicago Athenaeum Good Design Award