Phone 90 312 210 7288
Design fiction, fuzzy front-end in design education, narrative and storytelling, immersive research
PhD Candidate (2014 – Ongoing), Industrial Design, Middle East Technical University, Ankara
MA (2010 – 2011), Interaction Design, Domus Academy, Milano
BSc (2005 – 2009), Industrial Design, Middle East Technical University, Ankara
- Tuna, N., & Caglar, E. (2019). An Exploratory Study for Provocative Prototypes: Creating Personas. DRS Learn X Design 2019, Fifth International Conference for Design Education Researchers, 9-12 July 2019, Ankara: METU.
- Tuna, N., & Caglar, E. (2018). Thematic Analysis of Online Comments for Design Researchers to Contribute to Autonomous Technologies. In O. Moslemian & M. Karyda (Eds.), Proceedings of SIDeR ’18 14th Student Interaction Design Research Conference (pp. 38–41). Helsinki: Aalto University.
- Caglar, E., Demir, Ö. and Kaygan, P. (2015). One day of the designer: Exploring students’ perspectives on the relationship between individual and collaborative work in design process. In Senses & Sensibility’15: Design as a Trade, Proceedings of the UNIDCOM/IADE 8th International Conference, 5-7 October 2015, edited by E. Duarte, C. Duarte and F. C. Rodrigues, 353-360, IADE – Creative University, Portugal.
- Caglar E., & Simsek Caglar P. (2018). Ontolojik Öyküleme ile Tasarım Kurgusu Modellemesi. STS Turkey 2018, 10-11 September 2018, Ankara: METU.
- “Organic Design”, Facilitated by Caglar, E. & Tuna, N., October 5 2019, in METU, Ankara
- “Blatant Fabrications: Quick, AI Powered Design Fiction Workshop”, Facilitated by Tuna, N. & Caglar, E., July 10 2018, DRS Learn X Design 2019, Fifth International Conference for Design Education Researchers, 9-12 July 2019, in METU, Ankara
- “Secret Life of Objects”, Facilitated by Tuna, N. & Caglar, E., February 16 2019, in METU, Ankara.
- “Tasarım Kurgusu Kullanarak Kullanım Bilgisi toplama ve Tasarım Öngörüleri Oluşturma”, Facilitated by Tuna, N. & Caglar, E., September 12 2018, UTAK 2018 3. Ulusal Tasarım Araştırmaları Konferansı, in METU, Ankara
- Panel Participant: Design Pedagogy for Future Generations with İpek Akpınar, Aykut Coşkun, Emre Çağlar, Derek Jones (Moderator), Stanley Ruecker, Yasuko Takayama in DRS Learn X Design 2019, Fifth International Conference for Design Education Researchers, 9-12 July 2019
Teaching Assistant (2014 – ongoing), Middle East Technical University, Ankara
- Crafting and conducting of the following classes: ID 311 Computers in Design, ID 290, ID 390 Summer Practice courses, ID 413 and ID 414 Interactive Prototyping for Designers, on digital design tools.
- Teaching assistantship in ID 201 Industrial Design I, ID 202 Industrial Design II, ID 401 Industrial Design V and ID 402 Graduation Project courses. Taking roles on course planning and conducting occasional lectures on digital tools, graphic design and scenario generation.
- Teaching assistantship in ID 480 Design Management. Conducting lectures on design management in Turkish context.
- Teaching assistantship in ID 211 Design Communication.
Part-Time Instructor (2012 – 2014), Atılım University, Ankara
- Sole crafting and conducting of the following classes: EÜT 190 Summer Practice I (Computer), EÜT 212 Structure, EÜT 241 Computer Aided Design I, EÜT 242 Computer Aided Design II, EÜT 261 Model Making, GTM 046 Computer Aided 3D Visualization in Industrial Design. Classes averaged 30 students, ranging from 2nd to 3rd year undergraduate students, with 4 ECTS credits each.
Founding Partner and Interaction Designer (2013 – Ongoing), Thinbox Design, Ankara
Consulting and working on various industrial and interaction projects as well as sectorial research projects together with development agencies.
Founding Partner and Product Designer (2011 – 2013), Otto312 Creative Consultancy, Ankara
Consulting and working on various industrial and interior design projects.
Part-Time Consultant (2010 – 2011), Sanset-Ikoor, Ankara
Consulting the in-house design team on product design, regarding airport products and PSS.
Conceptual Researcher (2010 – 2011), Forakis Design, Milano
Researching on the future use patterns of Facebook and Twitter, conceptualizing privacy focused, anonymous social networks.
Product Designer (2009 – 2010), Sanset-Ikoor, Ankara
Solving design systems regarding the auditorium of Heydar Aliyev Cultural Center in collaboration with Zaha Hadid Architects.
- Visiting researcher at Aalto University Department of Design, Espoo, Finland. (October 2019- May 2020)
- Host professor: Prof. Virpi Roto
- Research Group: Encore
- Dissertation, METU, Ankara (Expected: 2021, Advisor: Prof. Dr. Gülay Hasdoğan)
- Doctoral Qualification in May 2018
- Proposal Jury in November 2018
- Thinbox Design, Kayseri KETAM Sectoral Analysis Project, for the Ministry of Industry and Technology (2013-2014)
- Planning research.
- Field work in industrial zone with about 50 companies, conducting interviews and product analysis.
- Evaluating results and co-authoring two reports.
International Lift Design Competition (2013), Automotive Project Design Competition (2012), The Marmara Hotel Design Competition (2011), Corio Mall Design Competition (2009)
International Lift Design Competition (2013, 2nd place), IMMIB (2011, Honorable mention), The Marmara Hotel Design Competition (2011, 2nd place), W Hotel Young Designers Competition (2011, 2nd place and finalist), British Council Creative Entrepreneurship Award (2011, Finalist), MOSDER (2010, Honorable mention), International Lift Design Competition (2009, 2nd place), IMMIB (2008, 2nd place), MOSDER (2007, Honorable mention)